Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities (Update F)
All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
This updated alert is a follow-up to the updated alert titled ICS-ALERT-18-011-01E Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities that was published February 22, 2018, on the NCCIC/ICS-CERT web site.
NCCIC is referencing CERT/CC’s vulnerability note VU#584653 CPU hardware vulnerable to side-channel attacks to enhance the awareness of critical infrastructure asset owners/operators and to identify affected product vendors that have contacted ICS-CERT for help disseminating customer notifications/recommendations to mitigate the risk associated with cache side-channel attacks known as Meltdown and Spectre. Exploitation of these vulnerabilities may allow unauthorized disclosure of information.
The following product vendors have reported that they support products that use affected CPUs and have issued customer notifications with recommendations for users (NCCIC will update the list of vendors that have released customer notifications as additional information becomes available):
--------- Begin Update F Part 1 of 1 --------
- ABB: http://search-ext.abb.com/library/Download.aspx?DocumentID=9AKK107045A8219&LanguageCode=en&DocumentPartId=&Action=Launch
- Abbott: http://www.abbott.com/policies/product-security-update.html
- Beckman Coulter: https://www.beckmancoulter.com/wsrportal/wsr/support/WannaCry-Ransomware-Cyber-attack/index.htm
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD): www.BD.com/productsecurity
- Dräger: https://static.draeger.com/security
- Emerson (account required for login): https://guardian.emersonprocess.com/Guardian/Components/ArticleViewer/?type=KBA&articleId=9f769bec-d630-4cb7-9d06-fcc338c470e1
- General Electric (account required for login, reference ID 000020832): https://digitalsupport.ge.com
- Honeywell: https://www.honeywellprocess.com/en-US/support/Pages/security-updates.aspx
- Johnson and Johnson: http://www.productsecurity.jnj.com/advisories.html
- Medtronic: http://www.medtronic.com/us-en/product-security/security-updates.html
- OSIsoft: https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/Alerts/AL00333
- Pepperl+Fuchs: https://files.pepperl-fuchs.com/webcat/navi/productInfo/doct/tdoct6012__eng.pdf?v=20180209142616
- Philips: https://www.philips.com/productsecurity
- Rockwell Automation (account required for login): https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1070884
- Schneider Electric: https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/download/document/SEVD-2018-005-01/
- Smiths Medical: https://www.smiths-medical.com/company-information/general-customer-information-for-spectre-and-meltdown
- Stryker: https://www.stryker.com/us/en/about/governance/cyber-security.html
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation: https://www.yokogawa.com/solutions/products-platforms/announcements/important-notice/cpu-vulnerability/
--------- End Update F Part 1 of 1----------
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to taking defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a control systems recommended practices page on the ICS-CERT website. Several recommended practices are available for reading or download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Organizations that observe any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.