Sielco Sistemi Winlog Vulnerabilities
All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
ICS-CERT is aware of a public report of multiple vulnerabilities with proof-of-concept (PoC) exploit code affecting Sielco Sistemi Winlog Version 2.07.14, a supervisory control and data acquisition/human-machine interface (SCADA/HMI) product. According to this report, the vulnerabilities can be exploited remotely by sending specially crafted requests to TCP/46824. The public report was released by independent security researcher Luigi Auriemma without coordination with either the vendor or ICS-CERT.
ICS-CERT has notified Sielco of the report and has asked Sielco to confirm the vulnerabilities and identify mitigations. ICS-CERT is issuing this alert to provide early notice of the report and identify baseline mitigations for reducing risks to these and other cybersecurity attacks.
The report included vulnerability details and PoC exploit code for the following vulnerabilities.
|Vulnerability Type||Remotely Exploitable||Impact|
|Multiple Buffer Overflowsa||Yes||Possible Remote Code Execution|
|Directory Traversal (Improper Access Control)b||Yes||Information Leakage|
|Improper Access of Indexable Resourcec||Yes||Possible Remote Code Execution|
|Write-What-Where Conditiond||Yes||Possible Remote Code Execution|
Please report any issues affecting control systems in critical infrastructure environments to ICS-CERT (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Winlog is a SCADA/HMI software package for the supervision of industrial and civil plants. It can connect to PLCs, controllers, motor drives, and I/O modules.
ICS-CERT released a follow-up advisory ICSA-12-213-01 Sielco Sistemi Winlog Vulnerabilities to the ICS-CERT Web site on July 30, 2012.
ICS-CERT is currently coordinating with the vendor and security researcher to identify mitigations.
ICS-CERT recommends that users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices. Control system devices should not directly face the Internet.e
- Locate control system networks and devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- If remote access is required, employ secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
ICS-CERT reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to taking defensive measures.
The Control Systems Security Program (CSSP) also provides a recommended practices section for control systems on the US-CERT Web site. Several recommended practices are available for reading or download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies. Organizations that observe any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to ICS-CERT for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
- a. http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/121.html, Web site last accessed June 27, 2012
- b. http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/284.html, Web site last accessed June 27, 2012
- c. http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/118.html, Web site last accessed June 27, 2012
- d. http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/123.html, Web site last accessed June 27, 2012.
- e. ICS-CERT ALERT, http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/alerts//ICS-ALERT-10-301-01, Web site last accessed June 27, 2012.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.