Siemens SCALANCE X
All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.1
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SCALANCE X Switches
- Vulnerability: Storing Passwords in a Recoverable Format
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to reconstruct passwords for users of the affected devices, if the attacker is able to obtain a backup of the device configuration.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Siemens SCALANCE X products are affected by this vulnerability:
- SCALANCE X-200: all versions prior to v5.2.4
- SCALANCE X-200IRT: all versions
- SCALANCE X-300: all versions
- SCALANCE X-414-3E: all versions
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected devices store passwords in a recoverable format. An attacker may extract and recover device passwords from the device configuration. Successful exploitation requires access to a device configuration backup and impacts confidentiality of the stored passwords.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Food and Agriculture, and Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens thanks Christopher Wade from Pen Test Partners for coordinated disclosure. Siemens reported this vulnerability to NCCIC.
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds/mitigations to reduce the risk from this vulnerability:
- SCALANCE X-200: Update to v5.2.4 at: https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/109767965
- SCALANCE X-200IRT: See recommendations following
- SCALANCE X-300: See recommendations following
- SCALANCE X-414-3E: Migrate to the SCALANCE XM400 product line
Until additional updates are available, Siemens recommends users apply the following workarounds/mitigations to reduce the risk from this vulnerability:
- Restrict access to configuration backups or archived device configuration data;
- Restrict or disable network access to mechanisms that allow retrieval of device configuration, if enabled.
- Restrict access to device configuration module C-PLUG, if in use.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends that users protect network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for Industrial Security, and to follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
For further inquiries on security vulnerabilities in Siemens products and solutions, please contact the Siemens ProductCERT: https://www.siemens.com/cert/advisories
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.