Siemens SCALANCE W1750D
All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 5.9
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/public exploits are available
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SCALANCE W1750D
- Vulnerability: Cryptographic issues
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to decrypt TLS traffic.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Siemens reports the vulnerability affects the following SCALANCE W1750D products:
- SCALANCE W1750D: All versions prior to v22.214.171.124
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An attacker with network access to affected devices could potentially obtain a TLS session key. If the attacker is able to observe TLS traffic between a legitimate user and the device, the attacker could decrypt the TLS traffic.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Healthcare and Public Health, Transportation Systems, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to NCCIC.
Siemens provides a firmware update (v126.96.36.199) and recommends users to update to the new version. This update can be found on their website at the following location:
To reduce the risk, Siemens recommends administrators restrict access to the web interface of the affected devices.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for industrial security (https://www.siemens.com/cert/operational-guidelines-industrial-security), and following the recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on Industrial Security by Siemens can be found at:
For more information on this vulnerability and associated software updates, please see Siemens security advisory SSA-464260 on their website:
NCCIC recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
NCCIC also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS-CERT website in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the NCCIC at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
The NCCIC continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.