All information products included in http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see http://www.us-cert.gov/tlp/.
This advisory was originally posted to the US-CERT secure Portal library on December 10, 2013, and is now being released to the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Web site.
NCCIC/ICS-CERT received reports from the Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) regarding a remote code execution vulnerability and an information disclosure vulnerability in WellinTech KingSCADA, KingAlarm&Event, and KingGraphic applications. These vulnerabilities were reported to ZDI by security researcher Andrea Micalizzi. WellinTech has produced a new version that mitigates these vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities could be exploited remotely.
WellinTech reports that these vulnerabilities affect the following products:
- KingSCADA 3.1 and all previous versions,
- KingAlarm&Event 2.0.2 and all previous versions, and
- KingGraphic 3.1 and all previous versions.
A remote attacker can exploit these vulnerabilities to acquire the credentials to login to the database as a legitimate user or remotely execute code in the context of the target process.
Impact to individual organizations depends on many factors that are unique to each organization. NCCIC/ICS-CERT recommends that organizations evaluate the impact of these vulnerabilities based on their operational environment, architecture, and product implementation.
WellinTech is a software development company specializing in automation and control. WellinTech is based in Beijing, China, with branches in the United States, Japan, Singapore, Europe, and Taiwan.
The WellinTech Web site describes KingSCADA as a Windows-based control, monitoring, and data collection application used across several industries including power, water, building automation, mining, and other sectors.
INFORMATION DISCLOSURE VULNERABILITYa
Authentication to this service is performed locally through the KAEClientManager console but not against remote connections. A remote attacker with knowledge of the proprietary protocol can send a specially crafted packet to Port 8130/TCP to disclose credentials.
ACTIVEX REMOTE CODE EXECUTION VULNERABILITYd
By properly setting the ProjectURL property, it is possible for an attacker to download an arbitrary dll file from a remote location and run the code in the dll in the context of the target process.
These vulnerabilities could be exploited remotely.
EXISTENCE OF EXPLOIT
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
An attacker with a low skill would be able to exploit these vulnerabilities.
WellinTech has released KingSCADA Version 3.5 that mitigates these vulnerabilities. They have provided the following links to the latest version:
- KingSCADA: http://www.kingview.com/en/downloads/Downloads/1312/KingSCADA3.1.2_EN.zip
- KingGraphic: http://www.kingview.com/en/downloads/Downloads/1312/KingGraphic3.1.2_EN.zip
- KingAlarm&Event: http://www.kingview.com/en/downloads/Downloads/1312/KingAlarm&Event3.1_EN.zip
NCCIC/ICS-CERT encourages asset owners to take additional defensive measures to protect against this and other cybersecurity risks.
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices. Critical devices should not directly face the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC/ICS-CERT also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Web page at http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/content/recommended-practices. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies. NCCIC/ICS-CERT reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available in the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B—Targeted Cyber Intrusion Mitigation Strategies, that is available for download from the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Web site (http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/).
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC/ICS-CERT for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
- a. CWE-538: File and Directory Information Exposure, http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/538.html, Web site last accessed January 14, 2014.
- b. NVD, http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2013-2826, NIST uses this advisory to create the CVE Web site report. This Web site will be active sometime after publication of this advisory.
- c. CVSS Calculator, http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?version=2&vector=AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:P, Web site last accessed January 14, 2014.
- d. CWE-749: Exposed Dangerous Method or Function, http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/749.html, Web site last accessed January 14, 2014.
- e. NVD, http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2013-2827, NIST uses this advisory to create the CVE Web site report. This Web site will be active sometime after publication of this advisory.
- f. CVSS Calculator, http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?version=2&vector=AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:P, Web site last accessed January 14, 2014.
For any questions related to this report, please contact ICS-CERT at:
Toll Free: 1-877-776-7585
International Callers: (208) 526-0900
For industrial control systems security information and incident reporting: http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov
ICS-CERT continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.